Contributors

Thursday 17 January 2019

The Doors


When One Door Closes....

You  must have heard this from family, friends, the dude at the deli counter.
But why?
It does not offer anything, but an acknowledgement from the recipient with a nod, or a sigh, or an obligatory "ah, yes".  But not for the understanding of which door has been shut, or the one that
may open, but more for the fact that I have heard that bloody phrase all my life. WHAT. THE. CLUCK??

And yes, this is all relative, as I was speaking with a friend today about life and its foibles.  I inadvertently thought to myself, "one door shuts, another opens...". How and why was that even helpful?

Who is to blame for this? Why, as a culture, are these shitty words knowingly shared as a reason for something ending?

I had to investigate.  Yes, Google to the rescue.  Could it actually be possible that people around the world have asked the question,  "what is the saying when one door closes?"
The answer: of course (what was I thinking).

Alexander Graham Bell apparently said this quote, but, as many things are, there is more the the quote.  The collective "us" have shortened it to just a few words as we all seem to know what it means...but do we??

Naturally, I suspected, that it would be wordy and depressing, expressing hopelessness and territories unexplored. 

I was right.

The quote by Mr Bell actually reads:

 "When one door closes another door opens,
 but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, 
that we do not see the ones which open for us."

But then, there is the bibilical reading about God being part of the door slamming 
process - if this is the case, has the proverbial door been shut for our own good?

I also noticed that Helen Keller has included general "happiness" involved in the gazing at shut doors, and failing to notice open ones.

I am more inclined to view it like this: if the door is closed, either have a girl look for the keys, or go find a door that's open.




No comments:

Post a Comment